Tue 25 Sep 2007
5 Easy Steps to Winning Client Trust
Trust is the base of success in any relationship - personal or business. Clients work well with professionals that they can rely on and trust.
Trust between clients and businesses are not built in a day - it is an ongoing process. Below are 5 steps that you can take to enhance trust with both existing and new clients.
- Keep your word - Always back up what you say by doing what you say you will. If you have promised a delivery on a particular day, make sure you follow through. Even a small disagreement can break a once-steady relationship with a client.
- Foster realistic expectations - Help your clients understand how your business works and explain your boundaries. Always be open to suggestions when you have to mention any additional charges and explain how and when you will bill your client. Never break a client's expectations.
- Explain the process - Explain how a particular project is going to work to your clients, so that they know what to expect and when. This will enable your clients to understand the plan and strategy of his or her particular case.
- Under promise and over deliver - It may be highly tempting to promise whatever a client requests, but avoid it. Too many promises can break agreements and thus can break trust. It is always best to stay on the conservative side and endeavor to deliver more than they expect.
- Clarify the client's role - Make sure your client understands his or her role in the project and has a clear picture of the progress that can be made with their involvement. If the client is clear on their role, then you can work as a team and build trust.
Building client trust isn't easy, but it does take time. If you follow the 5 steps above, you'll be well on your way to building successful and profitable relationships.